Eco lodges & Tours
An epic trip to the base of the tallest mountain in the world
Local inns and resorts 2 and 3 star
16 days (12 days cycling)
The aura around Everest hasn't reached iconic heights for nothing and this 16 day program will show you first hand why the Himalayas are a can't miss destination. On the road to Everest, in your group of no more than 12 guests, you will pass through historic temples, explore Tibet's oldest monasteries, taste local delicacies, soak in amazing glacier carved views and so much more! A series of strategically placed hotels, with necessary amenities, will give you the chance to recharge each night for one spectacular day of cycling after the other. This itinerary is perfect for experienced travelers and is fully supported to help you every step of the way.
Tackle the China-Nepal Friendship Highway and the lakeshore roads of Yamdrok.
Visit and cycle through multiple Monasteries and stop for a visit at Tibet's oldest one, Ganden.
- Navigate the city of Lhasa by foot and pedicab.
- Visit the Sera, Drepung, Nangartse and Ganden Monasteries.
- Explore the remarkable Gyantse Dzong fortress.
- Look at agriculture in a new light as you pass through local farming communities.
- Walk through Shigatse, considered Tibet's most fertile land and home of 13 different ethnic groups.
- Soak in glacier carved views that you will never forget.
- Taste some Yak Butter tea and find yourself hooked on a brand new beverage.
- Coast along the Rongbuk Highway which was built for the Olympic torch relay.
The China-Nepal Friendship Highway is a 500 mile panoramic route that links together Tibet's capital, Lhasa, and the Chinese/Nepalese border. Locations along the way feature a variety of cultural landmarks, endless grasslands and meadows as well as breathtaking views of the famous Himalayan mountain range. Some of the peaks include Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cho Oyu and Shishapangma. The people of Tibet are known for their warm welcomes and contagious smiles. Despite decades of unsettled politics, Tibetan people remain some of the most openhearted on earth and provide memorable experiences for anyone passing through.
This elegant hotel was once the home to a high-ranking Tibetan Lama, perfectly tucked into a secluded private lane. Each room offers luxury comfort amidst the splendor of ancient Tibet. The rooms overlook a courtyard that through wall carvings tell the story of the mythic Shambala Kingdom.
Yeti hotel is a recently refurbished facility with a Tibetan culture theme and a classic, friendly ambience. It is only a 5 minute walk from the picturesque Gynaste Old Town and the remarkable Gyantse Dzong Fortress. The creative design captures the essence of central Tibet.
Tashi Choten Hotel
The Tashi Choten Hotel is decorated in the unique Tibetan folk style. There is Tibetan mural in every room painted by local folk artists, providing a perfectly organic experience. Everything you would want to access is within a 10 minute walk.
Lhatse Shanghai Hotel
The best place to stay in Lhatse!
Tour Cost: $3995
6 or more people: $4095
2 to 5 people: $5095
1 person: n/a
Single Supplement: $800
Bike Rental: free of charge
(All costs per person in US $. Seasonal supplements may apply on private trips.)
There are currently three planned departure dates:
June 27th, 2016
September 5th, 2016
September 4th, 2017
Join a guided tour
This tour is possible on a private basis or by joining a group tour.
Consult & Book
We work with a local partner to provide this trip.
We help you understand the product offering, book the trip with our partner and guide you through the preparation process.
Pygmy Elephant provides:
- Transfer arrangements: to Lhasa
- Pre-departure support: what to pack, arranging travel insurance and informing on travel advisories
- 24 hour customer service: if something goes wrong, we have your back
- Pygmy Miles: receive discounts off future travel