Luxury safari along the storied hills of Hemingway
Luxury Safari Lodge
From $3,400 per person
“Where a man feels at home, outside of where he’s born, is where he’s meant to go.”
― Ernest Hemingway,
There is a place that calls you back to ancesteral lands, a place as much routed in the idea of conservation as it is in luxury. At Campi Ya Kanzi, an extraordinary experience awaits you at the foot of Kilimanjaro and the rolling green hills of Ernest Hemingway. Campi Ya Kanzi is a five star luxury resort that sits on a 400 square mile reserve in southeast Kenya. Here, the staff are made up of the land's caretakers, the Maassi. There are ample opportunities for you to engage with your hosts and to learn of the hidden secrets of the bush. The private reserve also features wildlife viewing away from the mass of tourists; a different experience than many game reserves where the atmosphere can feel like a zoo. Campi Ya Kanzi is a place that reminds of a distance past, yet seeks to preserve the cutlure and eco system for future generations.
The Maasai will guide you through the savannah, cloud forest and to various lookout points high above the reserve (a great spot for a gin & tonic after a long day in the bush)
With your Maasai guides, you will immerse yourself in the safari experience tracking lions, giraffes, elephants, buffaloes and a myriad of small and large birds.
The cooks have been trained in the preparation of fine international cuisine, which is featured along with local dishes. All pasta, bread, biscuits and ice creams are homemade. Fresh vegetables are supplied daily from a small organic vegetable garden within camp.
- Game drives in open Land Rover - Maasai cultural villages
- National Park excursions
- Bush breakfast, picnic, dinner
- Scenic flights with champagne breakfast - Fly camping
- Kanzi Amani Wellness
- Yoga lessons
- Air excursions
- Horse-back riding
- Excursion to Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Tsavo East
- Visit Trust programs (Schools, Dispensaries, Research Centre)
Set on 283,000 acres, the private reserve of Campi Ya Kanzi covers a sprawling habitat range including the grasslands of the savannah, green river woodlands and cool mountain forrests. To put the size of the reserve in perspective, an area of 20 Mannhattans could fit inside the private reserve. Lions, elephants, girrafes, buffalo and antelope all roam freely on the Chyulu Hills. Located thirty miles from Kilimanjaro, the setting is litterally out of a Hemingway novel.
There are several elements that make a safari and Campi Ya Kanzi unique. The private reserve is for guests of the camp only. You won't be circling wildlife in big white vans, with 50 other tourists. In fact, you may not be in a vehicle at all. Unlike national parks and game reserves, skilled Maasai will guide you on game hikes across the savanah. There are no set itineraries - Safaris and experiences will be tailored to individuals. Below are a few examples of what's on tap:
- Game drives in open Land Rover, with your professional guide and Maasai tracker
- Walk, escorted by your guide and by your tracker, in the cloud forest, exploring a unique habitat
- Walk, escorted by your guide and by your tracker, in the savanna or to look-out hills
- Tailored safaris for keen birds watchers
- Tailored safaris for keen photographers
- Visit your Maasai tracker’s home, in his village, to learn about Maasai culture
- Horse-back riding
- Dine in the bush, for either breakfast, lunch or dinner
- Dine in a huge cave, where the Maasai where hiding the cattle they were raiding from the Wakamba, a tribe living on the other side of the Chyulu Hills.
- Stars gazing with lectures
- Visit the Trust programs in conservation, health, and education
- Join “Among Lions” a special one week safari run with the Trust, studying the lion population of the reservation
- Excursion to Tsavo West National Park, where you can visit Mzima Springs and the Shetani Lava Flow
- Kilimanjaro scenic flight, followed by a champagne bush breakfast
- Air excursions to Tsavo or the Chyulu Hills, flying over the geoglyph sculptures
- Air excursion to Amboseli National Park, where you can drive among elephants
- With advanced notice:
- Fly camping on the plains in front of Mount Kilimanjaro
- A special excursion to Tsavo East, at Ithumba camp, where you can visit orphan elephants reintroduced into the wilderness
- Mark Nicholson (Board member of the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust) can be booked to guide a botanic safari
- Transcendental Meditation course
Pygmy Miles Total
A 4 night safari costs $3,000 per person based on a double luxury Tent (conservation fee of $101 not included). The cost of an internal flight to the lodge is $400 each way (per person, $200). For every $1 you book with Pygmy Elephant, you earn 1 Pygmy Mile.
Flight from Nairobi
Most lodge guests will arrive via a private plane transfer from Nairobi. It is approximately 200 miles from Nairobi to Campi Ya Kanzi. You earn 1 Pygmy Mile for every mile you fly.
The sustainability program of Campi Ya Kanzi is impressive. Electricity is generated from photovoltaic panels, providing a zero carbon footprint from power generation. Furthermore, water, being one of the most scarce resources of the region, is collected exclusively through an extensive rain cropping system. Vegetables are grown on site and Ya Kanzi avoids buying products from unsustainable farming operations. Waste is composted, recycled or incinerated (as per UN recommendation).
The owner of Campi Ya Kanzi has established a conservation trust that employs over 250 local people (not to mention the 150 who work at Campi Ya Kanzi). The Trust invests more than US$1,800,000 per year in the community. Approximately 15% of the conservation is funded through contributions from guests to the lodge. The remainder is generated through fundraising. Income is used to pay Maasai who have lost wildlife from predators, employment of game scouts to reduce poaching, employment of teachers in 22 local schools and staffing and building hospitals and clinics to assist the community of 16,000 Maasai.
Total Pygmy Miles
Luxury Tented Cottages
Campi Ya Kanzi
The classic safari experience under canvas with the luxury of a comfortable bed and a full ensuite bathroom. Each of the six luxury tented cottages are named after the beautiful view of the specific hills that they face: Chyulu, Longitok, Olenyo Waite, Kilimanjaro, Oldonyo Oibor and Ololorami. You can enjoy a view of the vast wildlife that visit our watering hole as well while you enjoy a cup of tea and bitings on your private porch.
Luxury Tented Suites
Campi Ya Kanzi
The classic safari experience under canvas with the luxury of a comfortable bed and a full ensuite bathroom. Each of the luxury tented suites, Hemingway and Simba, provide two of the best views of our watering hole and of the hills surrounding the camp. A perfect oasis to enjoy the vast wildlife such as zebras, giraffes, and lions that visit our watering hole while you enjoy a cup of tea and bitings on your private porch. Great for honeymooners, couples or any guest that would like to experience a home away from home while enjoying the wilderness right at their fingertips!
Kampi Ya Kanzi
Kanzi House is an exclusive villa available to larger groups and families who would like to stay under one roof and dine privately. It can be booked only by one party at a time for a minimum of three nights. With three double rooms and two twin rooms, the house can accommodate up to ten people. Featuring a Jacuzzi, an 18-meter swimming pool, a pool cottage, a fire pit, and a beautiful view of Mount Kilimanjaro, Kanzi House provides a luxurious private experience while allowing guests to explore the savanna around Campi ya Kanzi. Dining can be arranged either inside or out; al fresco dining is available next to the pool or in the open dining area beside the pool cottage. Guests at Kanzi House will be served by dedicated cooks and waiters, a dedicated safari guide, and a dedicated vehicle.
US$750 per person/night sharing in tented cottage
US$950 per person/night single occupancy in tented cottage
(single supplement will only be charged on second and further singles, per booking)
US$375 per person/night for a child (below 17 years) in third bed in tented cottage
US$950 per person/night sharing in Hemingway or Simba Suite
US$1,200 per person/night single occupancy in Hemingway or Simba Suite
US$1,300 per person/night sharing in Kanzi House and Swimming pool suite
In addition a US$101 per day conservation fee is charged per guest accommodated at Campi ya Kanzi, and paid directly to the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust. Children conservation fee is $51 per child per day.
Kanzi House can also be booked on an exclusive basis for a minimum of three nights at $8,000 per night, in addition a US $151 per day conservation fee is charged per guest accommodated at Kanzi House and pool suite.
Join a guided tour
You will join up to 16 other guests on an exclusive, private reserve. Private guiding can be arranged when you stay at the Kanzi House. Arrival dates and times are always open and never fixed.
Consult & Book
Pygmy Elephant provides:
- Transfer arrangement: to and from Nairoba and further on to other locations
- Pre-departure support: what to pack, arranging travel insurance and informing on travel advisories
- 24 hour customer service: if something goes wrong, we have your back
- Best Price Guarantee: if you find a better price on the internet, we'll match it
- Pygmy Miles: receive discounts off future travel
It is possible to visit Campi Ya Kanzi at all times during the year. The camp finds April, May and November particularly attractive months, as this periods experiences more rainfall and animal and plant life thrive particularly well. The hottest months of the year are January and February, while the coolest month is July.
Level : Low
Level : Low
Level : Low
The camp offers activities for all ranges of physical fitness.